Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Change the world? Okay.
I just finished reading Leaving Microsoft to Change the World (It's on sale right now ;) by John Wood. Whoa. Rarely do I find a book that I cannot put down (I would like to apologize to anyone I've bumped into... literally... between classes over the last few days). John left a very high up position at Microsoft after an enlightening trip to Nepal in which he discovered the state of the education system there. Imagine had your school had classes with three or more grades squished into one small room and a library consisting of a handful of trashy romance novels that tourists had left behind (um, actually I know Calaveras County still many schools in this condition... I did a book drive back in high school for an elementary school way out in the hills that had a single shelf of books for their k-6 school... but that's beside the point :)) In just a few years, John was able to found, and make successful, Room to Read - a non profit whose sole purpose is to build schools and libraries in developing countries. To date they have built over 7000 libraries. It's difficult to comprehend that $250 can fund a girls education for an entire year (including a backpack and a new pair of shoes), and a mere eight to ten thousand dollars can build an entire school or library. It's seems like such a small number, we should be able to do more to improve the lives of those who are in need of basic resources like a public library or a classroom in which every student has a chair to sit in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment