Friday, April 10, 2009

Kiva.org

Ok, I know I tend to do a lot of talking about making the world a better place, but I understand that I am of limited knowledge and resources and can only do so much when it comes to these things. Which is why Kiva is so great. With $25 anyone with either a credit card or a paypal account and improve the life of someone in a developing country by helping them build their business, or make their business run more smoothly.

I first learned about Kiva two years ago. I would drive from SF all the way down to Mountain View at least once a week, and on every drive I saw the same billboard for Kiva.org and was intrigued. Then, when friends started talking about it I was hooked on the idea. Don't ask me why it's taken me so long *actually* get involved; but I have. Today I made my first micro loan to a man in Togo who sells cement to other entrepreneurs and carpenters. His business has grown and he needs some money up front to place his next order to keep up with the demand. I chose to loan to this man in particular because he was not only growing a business for himself, but because his business is allowing others to maintain their own businesses as well. His providing this product to the community gives income to others which grows the community that much more.

And with that, I ask that everyone at least have a quick looksee :) http://www.kiva.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment